been a LONG time since i’ve had both the time AND the desire to blog simultaneously (you know you’re getting behind when this guy is posting more than you). i don’t know about you, but summer tends to throw everything “normal” in the routine off the wagon. that’s exactly what’s happened for me over the last few months. in an attempt to get back into the swing of it all, here’s some random things i’ve been up to and what i’m thinking…
1. i started taking judo back in june. i’ve been growing weary of spending all my time inside the church walls with other christians, and so when an unchristian friend of mine started inviting me to do judo with him, i sensed God’s call to adjust my schedule and make time for it. been the best thing ever, and i’m thankful for the open doors of relationship it’s opening up. plus, some days it just feels really cool throwing somebody over your shoulder.
2. had some new revelations on student leadership. i’m not sure they’re really new, actually, but i’m starting to view it all differently. for years i’ve told our teens that we have this team, that team, this opportunity to serve, this place to get involved, etc. etc. and encouraged them to sign up. but i’ve been trying to look at recruiting differently these days. we have a ton of slots to be filled by students in our ministry, but i’m finding myself now going after more of the individual students that i see who are ALREADY serving in some capacity, especially if it’s not a “formal role” we’ve already identified. student leaders are servants. period. i’m not looking for the cute, fun, and popular kids who can influence the masses. i’m just looking for humble servants who don’t mind setting up chairs and serving behind the scenes.
3. adelina is so stinkin cute it drives me bonkers. i love spending time with her. i love being her daddy. i love taking her for walks, making sand castles with her, and seeing her excitement when i ask her to help me take the dog out. this little girl has brought more joy to shanna and i than i could possibly imagine. and apparently she already is trying to get my money!
4. thinking a lot about “sticky faith”. it’s growing into a buzzword in student ministry circles, and finally i gave in and started reading the book. so so good. sticky faith is all about making practical and tangible tweaks to our student ministries so that our teens are more likely to graduate with a faith that sticks after high school. we’ve got a lot of things we’re going to continue rolling out to make our ministry more “sticky” in the months and years to come, but one that gets me so excited is something we just started last month. now every other week, our teens will be joining the adult worship service on sundays for the praise & worship part of the service, and each time the goal is to have a few teens on stage leading worship right alongside the adults. there’s definitely some unique challenges to it, but i think the wins are going to far outweigh the work. i’m so thankful to serve in a church that values teenagers as much as lakeshore!
5. there’s nothing like beach volleyball. one of my favorite moments this summer was an evening when we sent a text out to our teens, told them to meet us at cheeburger cheeburger for dinner, and then walked over to the beach afterwards for some volleyball. we didn’t know it was gonna happen, but there was a band playing some music and a huge crowd. with the sunsetting at just the right time, the atmosphere couldn’t have been more perfect. and it was so cool spending some time getting to know a kid who had just visited our church for the first time a few days before!