i’m always looking for cheap and easy ways to empower our students to more actively invite their friends to our student ministry. in a couple weeks, we’re starting a new UFC-themed teaching series called “IDK” (graphics taken from the good people over at lifechurch.tv) – and we’re setting it up towards an apologetics/defending your faith angle. the hope is that it’ll teach our committed students how to think when they’re basic beliefs are questioned, and for our seeking students to consider the validity of christianity’s worldview.
to try to encourage our students to invite their friends, we printed out a simple poster of a bulls eye with a title at the top. at the end of the services this sunday, our students will be challenged to grab a sharpie and write the names of 10 of their friends who don’t already attend church that they believe could benefit from this series. by writing names on the poster, they’re not necessarily committing to actually invite them yet – just to think through and verbalize their names.
we also have some simple business-card sized invites they’ll be given on their way out the door. it’s an idea i stole from someone else, so feel free to take it if it can work in your setting! what else do you do to encourage friend invites?
we’re back from vacation – and it was so refreshing and recharging! one thing we’re trying to learn is that in order to survive in ministry long term, you have to work hard… but you also have to play hard when you’re “off the clock”. i’m so thankful for the opportunity we had to get away, and now i’m more excited than ever to walk through the doors of our church!
here’s a little picture collage shanna made up from our time at the beach. it was so fun to watch adelina sink her feet into the sand for the very first time! good, good times.
we’re taking off for vacation tomorrow… and we’re so so so excited! we’ll be gone till tuesday, october 18th, and it’ll be a “fully dark” vacation (no email, phone, txting, facebook, twitter, or blogging).
here’s my out-of-office email reply that will be up while we’re gone.
right about now you're probably thinking "wow, i never get a response from Cory this fast"... and that's definitely true. which is why i recently hired a robot to respond to emails for me (at least while i'm away on vacation).
speaking of which, i'll be out of the office and away from email until tuesday, october 18th.
if you have a pressing need that can't wait till then, please contact the front office at Lakeshore Community Church at 392-5253 or email@example.com and they'll take care of ya. you can also visit www.ignitestudentministries.org and find contact info for our adult leadership team for student ministry related questions.
until then, here are 10 things you can do while you wait for a reply.
1. do the sticky wall! (click here for a picture: http://bit.ly/pvMUC9) we'll have it here at the church on friday, october 7th from 7-10pm for any student in 6th-12th grade!
2. go get a twitter account if you don't already have one. facebook is a waste of time, and google + isn't gonna make it.
3. follow me while you're at it - www.twitter.com/coryjh
4. read psalm 104... it's a good one.
5. be at church on sunday morning. it doesn't really earn you any points with God, but it does help you get to know Him better. our services are at 9 & 11am, and we're currently in a church-wide teaching campaign (everyone from diapers to depends) called "The Power Of A Whisper"... it's good stuff and worth the trip out.
6. check out my blog at www.toomuchpizza.com.
7. remember that the eagles are still the NFL's number 1 team this season, even if their record doesn't reflect that yet. there's a lot of games left to play...
8. take your family for a walk. these nice days in rochester will soon be gone.
9. buy switchfoot's new album "vice verses". there's some really good songs they just rolled out on it.
10. make someone laugh today. life is too hard to always be so serious. your encouragement could make all the difference in their day.
Student Ministries Pastor
Lakeshore Community Church
3651 Latta Road
Rochester, NY 14612